Audition Dates: April 14 and 15, 2023
Applications will be accepted fromMarch 1 to March 31, 2023.
The Pittsburgh Concert Society (PCS) encourages auditions applications for highly-qualified classical musicians in the Major Artist categorie who live or study in the Pittsburgh area. Winners are provided live concert performance oppotrunities and financial support.
The auditions are judged by an independent adjudicator from outside the Pittsburgh area.
The adjudicator for the 2022 Major auditions is :
Andrea Kalyn, President, New England Conservatrory of Music
The online application is at the bottom of the page.
- Musicians must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- All applicants must live within a 75 mile radius of Pittsburgh. This requirement extends to every member of an ensemble that wishes to apply. Previous Major Artist winners are ineligible to audition again in the same solo instrument or ensemble category.
- A candidate may not submit more than two applications in one given season, one as a soloist and one as a member of an ensemble.
- Up to 40 qualified applicants will be accepted in the order their applications are received. Additional applicants will be placed on a waiting list.
- A non-refundable application fee of $50 must be included with the application. Applicants must submit and perform a program of approximately 30 minutes.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit programs that include works from at least two periods, and of varied and contrasting repertoire.
- The program for all applicants must include a work by an American (USA) composer.
- Singers must include selections in English and at least two other languages.
- The program for any application by an ensemble must consist entirely of works written for the full ensemble. Such program may not include any works written for fewer performers than the full ensemble.
- For an instrumentalist or singer with pianist to qualify as a duo, piano parts may not be orchestral reductions, piano arrangements or adaptations.
- Solo applicants with collaborative pianists (accompanists) may include works with arranged piano parts or orchestral reductions (opera arias, movements from instrumental concertos, etc.) Applicants in this category may also program solo, unaccompanied works.
- The PCS reserves the right to reject an application for inadequate program quality, for failure to meet the program requirements, or for any reason it determines that an applicant has not met the standards of the Pittsburgh Concert Society Major Artist Auditions.
- Applicants will be notified of any issues that may cause a submitted program to be rejected, and, time allowing, will be given the opportunity to submit a revised program.
- If selected, winners must perform the exact same program that was submitted for their audition.
- Applicants must provide their own pianist and page turner if needed. If a candidate is in need of a pianist, PCS may suggest, but not recommend, a list of pianists.
- Audition instructions will be e-mailed to all candidates at the appropriate time. They will be emailed to the address given on the application form.
If you have additional questions, please contact the PCS by email: email@example.com
- Winners receive a concert performance opportunity and an honorarium as outlined below.
- Pandemic circumstances allowing, winning soloists and ensembles will perform their programs—two winners per recital—on one of three Major Artists Recitals scheduled for the following autumn.
- Major Artist Audition winners receive an honorarium after their recital: $1,000 for a solo performer, $750 each for duo performers, $750 each for a trio, $750 each for a quartet, and a maximum of $3,000 for an entire group or ensemble larger than a quartet.
- Winners of the Major Auditions will be contacted individually. The judges decision is final. Additionally the results will be posted on the News page of the PCS website.
Application Deadline: March 31, 2023
Questions or requests for additional information may be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.