Online Application and instructions for the Video Audition Submission are provided below.
Applications will be accepted from February 1 until March 1, 2021
Auditions via Video Submisison will be accepted from February 1 until March 1, 2021
The Pittsburgh Concert Society (PCS) encourages applications and video-submitted auditions for highly-qualified classical musicians in the Young Artist categorie who live or study in the Pittsburgh area. Winners are provided live or virtual concert performance oppotrunities and financial support.
The auditions are by video submission made by the applicant, and are judged by an indepndent adjudicator from outside the area.
The adjudicator for the 2021 Major auditions is :
Thomas Novak, Vice President and Provost, New England Conservatory.
- The online application is at the bottom of the page, and should be submitted before, and seperate from, your video submission.
- Instructions for uploading the video for your audition are provided below.
- All applicants must live within a 75 mile radius of Pittsburgh. This requirement extends to every member of an ensemble that wishes to apply.
- Instrumentalists must be 19 years of age or younger as of June 30 of the year of their audition. Singers must be 22 years of age or younger as of June 30 of the year of their audition.
Please note that since the 2020 Young Artists auditions had to be cancelled, all those who had applied last year are invited to reapply even if they no longer meet the PCS Young Artists age requirement.
- Previous Young Artist winners are ineligible to audition again in the same solo instrument or ensemble category.
- A candidate may not apply more than twice in any given season, once as a soloist and once as a member of an ensemble.
- A non-refundable application fee of $35 must be included with the application.
- Applicant’s program must be approximately 20 minutes in length and may be of their own choosing.
- Applicants must audition with the same program they will perform if selected.
- The submitted program must be properly formatted according the the PCS Style Sheet and Concert and Recital Assistance Manager (CRAM) Guide.
- Applicants must provide their own pianist and page turner if needed. If a candidate is in need of a pianist, PCS could suggest, not recommend, a list of pianists.
- Limited funds are available to help candidates cover pianists fees.
- There is no age restriction for accompanists.
- Proper audition attire is recommended.
- Applicants will be notified of any issues that may cause a submitted program to be rejected, and, time allowing, will be given the opportunity to submit a revised program.
- Up to 30 qualified applications will be accepted in the order they are received. Additional applicants may be placed on a waiting list.
- The PCS reserves the right to reject an application for inadequate program quality, for failure to meet the program requirements, or for any reason it determines that an applicant does not meet the standards of the Pittsburgh Concert Society Young Artist Auditions.
- Additional audition instructions and cards will be e-mailed to all candidates prior to the audition date. They will be emailed to the address given on the application form.
Instructions for uploading a video audition for the Pittsburgh Concert Society 2021 Young Artists
- Please fill out the application form below, pay the application fee and upload your program. Once your application is accepted, you will be assigned a number that will be emailed to you and will be your identifier.
- Create your video and name it with your audition number, not your name.
- Only your audition number should appear on the list of pieces you are submitting.
- Your video must contain all your audition submissions in one file.
If you have your own Box Account, Google Drive or similar cloud-based service:
- Upload your video to your personal storage site
- Change the permissions to allow anyone with the link to access the file
- Send the link to email@example.com
If you do NOT have access to a Box Account, Google Drive or cloud-based service:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a specific time to transfer your file directly (instructions will be provided)
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact PCS at email@example.com.
- Winners receive a concert performance opportunity and a scholarship as outlined below.
- Winners will be contacted individually and will be given instructions regarding the professional recording of their respective concerts.The judge’s decision is final. Additionally, the results will be posted on the News page of the Pittsburgh Concert Society website as soon as they are received.
- The winner's concerts will be recorded under safe conditions and will be posted on the PCS YouTube channel.
- Young Artist Audition winners receive an honorarium at the completion of their recital: $500 for a solo performer, $350 each for duo, trio or quartet members and a maximum of $1,400 for an entire group or ensemble larger than a quartet.
- Application period: February 1 to March 1, 2021
- Applications must be submitted online.
Young Artist Concert Dates
Posted on YouTube at a date to be determined.
Questions or requests for additional information may be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.